Shayna & Skyler's World

Anecdotes & stories both past and present about my 2 children: Shayna Star, age 10 and in 5th grade (1/31/1997) and Skyler Lion, age 3 (8/13/2004).

Friday, November 24, 2006

Key largo: The Hotel

I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel I picked for Key Largo, which was the Key Largo Grande Resort (just changed from the Sheraton). Official website: http://www.keylargogrande.com

It was built into the hardwood hammock/mangrove forest so very tropical and exotic and woodsy. It reminded me of being in Europe the way the decor was (and the restaurant unfortunately had Swiss prices).

It had one of those fancy entryways, where you walk down a long covered walkway, draped with fabrics and there was this gorgeous old huge mangrove tree, that I had wished I had posed the kids in front of. I didn't take a photo of it, but found this pic on the internet to show the walkway and the big mangrove. walking through with the tree to your right you get to where you pull up your car and unload the bags. to the left is the huge main lobby, to the left and right the resort & rooms. the place was huge and really felt like a resort.
3rd floor heading towards the elevators to go down...we had come from the 3rd floor area with the overpriced but very gorgeous outdoor/indoor restaurant (I didn't take pics there). There were two restaurants- the other one also has entertainment at night and even had some kind of dance night but we never made it there.
The view from above, looking out to the bay and the hotel dock, which we walked on looking for manatees. The cool thing about the keys and key largo is there are hundreds of little islands- you can see one in the distance...and if you rent or have a boat you can go explore them.
view from our first floor room that looked out to the bay beach. there were wooden walkways here, that went to the beach, tiki bar, to the nature trail on the hotel grounds, and to the game room and gym.
Skyler looking out the balcony:

They gave you a free newspaper every morning that hung on your hotel room door, and I found it amusing since you could tell who was still sleeping. We woke up early all 3 mornings so we saw a lot of hanging newspapers. I was also impressed with the bathroom amenities. In the sink area was a fancy tray with salon level bottles (shampoo, conditioner, etc.),a very good hair dryer (high wattage, salon level, not cheapy small kind), and high quality soaps. It reminded me a lot of Club Med (love that place!). In fact, nothing in the place seemed American to me, which made you feel like you were really far away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am mom - hear me roar!