Shayna & Skyler's World

Anecdotes & stories both past and present about my 2 children: Shayna Star, age 10 and in 5th grade (1/31/1997) and Skyler Lion, age 3 (8/13/2004).

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Rent


Since I was sick, we stayed in this weekend.

Shayna and I enjoyed watching the movie "Rent" and was a good venue to explain the themes within it like AIDS/HIV, starving artists, drug use, etc. This was the 2nd time drug use came up, the first time was in "Lord of War." Anyway, besides that, we both loved the music in the film. There is also a wonderful documentary about Jonathon Larsen, the writer/composer/creator of Rent, who sadly died the night before the 1st opening off broadway in 1996. I really regret not taking up Jennifer Little's imploring of me to see this play when it 1st opened in 1997, because then I could have experienced the original cast seen in the movie.

Add this to the list of plays I - and Shayna- really want to see on BROADWAY (not Phila.) along with Mama Mia. Maybe next year for our birthdays we will make it a goal to see one or both in NYC or possibly this summer. Anyway-- I HIGHLY recommend the movie version of Rent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am mom - hear me roar!