Shayna & Skyler's World

Anecdotes & stories both past and present about my 2 children: Shayna Star, age 10 and in 5th grade (1/31/1997) and Skyler Lion, age 3 (8/13/2004).

Friday, February 03, 2006

Letter

letter being sent into school Friday Feb. 3rd:

Dear Ms. Welch ,

I am requesting that my daughter, Shayna, a student in Ms. Blaswick’s 3rd grade class, have her GIEP reopened.

I am requesting that her current levels in math and reading be assessed.

The reason for this is that her needs are not being met in the regular classroom. Shayna states that her math and reading work is too easy, that she already knows what is being taught, and that she is not learning anything. Shayna states the only time she learns anything is with you, Ms. Welch, under the SIP pull out program.

I am also requesting that she be placed into the 4th grade for math and possibly reading instruction for the remainder of the year. I request that you do the appropriate testing to determine that she does already know all the current math being taught in the 3rd grade curriculum. Shayna feels as if she has become a teacher’s assistant rather then student.

I spoke with Rose Jacobs, a member of the school board about the current situation with Shayna, and she advised me to request the above on behalf of Shayna.

Shayna has a right to come to school and learn. This is her right under the law. Just as children with learning disabilities have a right under the law to have their needs met, SO DO GIFTED CHILDREN.

I believe Shayna would benefit greatly from being placed into the 4th grade for math and reading.

I am sending this letter to all those listed below.

I will appreciate the prompt attention from the district to remedy this situation for Shayna. I can be reached at ______________________.

Sincerely,
Robin M.

CC: Ms. Blaswick- Shayna’s 3rd grade teacher
Ms. Richman - 4th grade teacher
Ms. Glaesser - Principal of Valley Elementary
Ms. Finkelstein - Counselor at Valley
Victoria C. Gehrt, Ed.D. - District Superintendent
Charlotte Krsge - Assistant Superintendent
Claudia S. Mahon - Director of Special Ed.
Rose Jacobs - School Board member

2 Comments:

  • At 1:25 AM, Blogger shoshanamom said…

    Note: Due to problems with blogger, this post has not been edited or formatted as I wished - it would not let me use the "enter" button or place any spaces between paragraphs. ?

     
  • At 2:08 AM, Blogger shoshanamom said…

    yes- I spoke with the dir. of special Ed. today, and she talked with me for a long time (maybe 45 minutes?). we had a wonderful detailed conversation about my concerns and what shayna has been saying. so it seems promising- at least from the conversation i had. she was very empathetic also b/c she has a gifted son so has been in my shoes.
    see my current post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am mom - hear me roar!