Shayna & Skyler's World

Anecdotes & stories both past and present about my 2 children: Shayna Star, age 10 and in 5th grade (1/31/1997) and Skyler Lion, age 3 (8/13/2004).

Monday, October 24, 2005

School Stuff: Info. gleaned from other moms



Talking with other moms who live in other areas/districts you get a lot of information. As I gather this info. I will write it down.

This is information I gathered from 3 moms:


1. Nancy's mom, Olga: Nancy is now in the COUNCIL ROCK school district in the 3rd grade. Nancy has tested into the gifted/talented program but they are waiting to have thier final meeting so she can be officially started in the program.

* Class size: 4 classes with total of about 100 as opposed to 2 classes in Shayna's school, Valley.

* Gifted/talented program: in Council Rock, the elementary G/T is only Humanities, no math or science. Also, in most districts about 2% get places/ID'd as Gifted/talented, but in Council Rock it is 10%

* Nancy's school is also too easy (reading/math). They do not use the A/R program but have a "reading log" and Nancy has a reading list of 5th grade level books

* Olga told me that 2 former Trevose students now go to Abington Friends (private school) and thier mom said she thinks it is better then Newtown Friends. She also heard that A.F. has financial aid. So I will look into that in addition to N.F. for Shayna.

2. Amanda's Mom, Gwen: Amanda is still going to TREVOSE DAY SCHOOL.

*Due to decreased enrollment, they combined 2nd and 3rd grades this year. Mrs. Buckley teaches 2nd and 3rd grade, in the same room. (this means that if Shayna has stayed she would have Mrs. Buckley in the same room).
*There are FOUR 2nd graders and FIVE 3rd graders (Amanda, Sydney, Natalie, Ben and Grant)=9 children in the room.
*They combined 4th and 5th grades and there are only two 5th graders.
*The 2nd-5th graders eat lunch together.

3. Carole: mom of Emilie, 11 and Berkeley, 8 in HAVERFORD. Emilie is a Kid Caster for radio disney with Shayna. I don't know the name of the district.

*I didn't get to speak to her too much, but I did find out that in her son's 3rd grade they get to switch classes for math and reading. This means they group the kids according to ability -which is wonderful and as far as I know this is the 1st I have heard of a public school that does this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am mom - hear me roar!