Shayna & Skyler's World

Anecdotes & stories both past and present about my 2 children: Shayna Star, age 10 and in 5th grade (1/31/1997) and Skyler Lion, age 3 (8/13/2004).

Monday, August 01, 2005

Shayna's New Collection



Shayna decided to start collecting the state quarters last week. I thought she got the idea to do so from a random conversation we had with a man while we were waiting at the mall by the movie theater last week to meet Nancy and her mom Olga. We had been talking about a quarter she had that had something "island" on it and she couldn't remember what , she thought it was from Long beach Island, but the man sitting next to us said he collects the state quarters and he and I both said LBI isn't a state. Then she said "maybe its Long Island." I told her that isn't a state either. When we got home she got the quarter out and it was Rhode Island. At that moment she said she wanted to start collecting them. She got the Rhode Island one from the cafeteria while at Penn State Kids College film/TV camp (July 11th-15th). I just asked her if she got the idea from the man and she said no...that last year a few girls in her class were collecting the quarters.

I was shopping in AC Moore last week for items for making Skyler's birthday invitation and picture frames and happened to find the Coin Folder made for the state quarters. So she put her Rhode Island quarter in it.

Today she found 3 more state quarters. First, I found a California one in my car. Then on the way home from Skyler's cognitive study getting off the turnpike, I asked the tollbooth lady if she could give me state quarters when getting my 50 cents change. She gave us Arkansas and Virginia.

Here is the link about the state quarters:
http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/index.cfm?action=50_state_quarters_program

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am mom - hear me roar!