Shayna & Skyler's World

Anecdotes & stories both past and present about my 2 children: Shayna Star, age 10 and in 5th grade (1/31/1997) and Skyler Lion, age 3 (8/13/2004).

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Haunted Cache

We did a 3 step "multi cache" today with a halloween theme.

For step One, we had to go to the GPS coordinates given online. Once we found the micro cache, it would give us the coordinates for step 2. It was on Haunted Lane in Bensalem. Since it turned out to be by the side of the road, Manny went first and then we pulled up the car closer. There was a clue (given online) which we had to decrypt. The clue said "First stage: where are the hands when the clock says three o'clock?" This led us to the sign below: Behind the sign was the magnetic cache- the next coordinates were inside:
We drove to the next place that the coordinates took us to. It took us to a cemetary in Rt. 13 in Croyden. We were told to look for a "heavenly object" with a plaque. Here is what we found: We had to use the letters on the plaque to get the last 4 digits of the 2 coordinates needed for Step 3. The "LEO" and "FINM" gave us those numbers using the chart given to us online (i.e. L=9; E=6; and so on). The rest of the coordinates were given to us online (with blanks for the missing numbers). OK- now once we had those coordinates we could now go onto Step 3 and actually LOOK for the haunted cache.
We took a short walk through the old cemetary, to a small wooded area. Since there was no clear path to the exact coordinates, I volunteered to look- I had on hiking boots. Shayna came in after me a few minutes later. I found it inside a part of what is the biggest tree stump I have EVER seen (at least 10-15' diameter). It was well hidden in the top covered with bark and foliage. This photo is after I moved the bark aside that was covering it:
Shayna and Skyler checking out the cache after I brought it out into the open area:
Some of the goodies inside the cache:
We took the pumpkin carving kit and left a halloween slinky and dracula teeth. I signed the log book before placing the cache back into its hiding place:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am mom - hear me roar!