Shayna & Skyler's World

Anecdotes & stories both past and present about my 2 children: Shayna Star, age 10 and in 5th grade (1/31/1997) and Skyler Lion, age 3 (8/13/2004).

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Audition Update

Shayna auditioned for the Bucks County Playhouse's summer children's theater on March 25th. She sang 16 bars from "Seasons of Love" from "Rent." She did a monologue from "the Wizard if Oz." The one she did was the scene at the very end when Dorothy wakes up back in Kansas. We found it on the website that Uncle Michael found. We decided to use that one because one of the plays they are casting for is the Wizard of Oz.

Here is the monologue she did. She rehersed for about 3-4 hours the Friday before and also some the Thursday before, to memorize it and work on her acting. Manny and I coached her.

The Wizard of Oz
written by L. Frank Baum (novel), Noel Langley, Florence Ryerson, and Edgar Allan Woolf
Dorothy:

But it wasn't a dream. It was a place. And you and you and you...and you were there. But you couldn't have been could you? No, Aunt Em, this was a real truly live place and I remember some of it wasn't very nice, but most of it was beautiful--but just the same all I kept saying to everybody was "I want to go home," and they sent me home! Doesn't anybody believe me? But anyway, Toto, we're home! Home. And this is my room, and you're all here and I'm not going to leave here ever, ever again. Because I love you all. And... Oh Auntie Em! There's no place like home!


We also gave them her resume and 8X10 photo composite. She was #44 in the 8-9 year old category. There is also a 10-12 and 13-15 category so there are a LOT of kids who audition for these plays!

We will find out on April 30th via e-mail if/what she was cast in! We hope she gets a speaking part!


here is the monologue website: http://www.whysanity.net/monos/

5 Comments:

  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger MikeB said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger MikeB said…

    I asked Shayna how she thought she did on the monologue audition and she said "I don't know". I asked how she thought she did on the song and she said "I don't know at all". I think she is just being modest.

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger shoshanamom said…

    I think she answered that way because the woman who runs the plays, Corinna, and the one who does the auditions, give no feedback at all. I guess she is trying to be professional. So I guess we'll have to see what happens on april 30th. This was the first time she had to do a monologue for an audition so at least next time she will have that experience.

    I did ask a mom there who had a child audition in the 8-9yo category what she did for her monologue, and she did a poem. so to me what shayna did seemed more advanced - hopefully that made an impression. shayna didn't just say it she literally acted it out, we even had her bring a prop- Toto.

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger MikeB said…

    I think she also said Skyler dressed up as a knight with a sword.

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger shoshanamom said…

    Oh- that was at home Tuesday when you were chatting with Shayna. I put the knight cape on skyler and gave him the toy sword. I tried getting a photo but he didn't cooperate so you will just have to picture it in your mind. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am mom - hear me roar!