Shayna & Skyler's World

Anecdotes & stories both past and present about my 2 children: Shayna Star, age 10 and in 5th grade (1/31/1997) and Skyler Lion, age 3 (8/13/2004).

Monday, November 07, 2005

Mission: Boat

Shayna and I went to Beach Haven, LBI (Long Beach Island), NJ on Sunday-Monday to go to our boat, Carpe Diem, and get our stuff from it. We are getting rid of it so this is the last we will see it (LONG story- myriad of reasons why from cost to too small for 4). Since it is dry docked, that is not in the water, we had to literally climb up into the boat from the back. Luckily, the swim platform has a ladder that hangs. For me it was harder but for Shayna, little miss climber, it was no big deal!! Since its such a far ride we stayed over Sunday night and Shayna missed school Monday (this was the only time that was free with no rehersals etc. and I would rather her miss school then acting class and saturdays rehersal, plus no SIP monday and she has off tuesday so it worked out).

By the time we were done going through what stuff we could find, putting it into bags, and then getting the bags off the boat, it was dark - BUT the boat happened to be dry docked with the back RIGHT on the bay facing the marina we used to stay at and we got to watch a gorgeous sunset on the bay as we worked.

Here is Shayna waving farewell to our old friend, the boat: Bayliner 30' cabin cruiser OKA Carpe Diem:

I had never been to the beach in November...it was SOOOOO peaceful and quiet!! We got a hotel room right on the ocean- 3rd floor- and left the balcony door open a bit so we could sleep listening to the ocean surf. aaaaah. AND I somehow woke up (god knows how?) to see the sunrise from our balcony (gorgeous), although I only stayed up for maybe 5 minutes and then went back to sleep. Today (monday) it was nice enough to spend a bit of time on the beach-we knew it would be mid 60s so had our chairs and beach flip flops. THIS IS MY HEAVEN. I love the beach. Shayna of course had to dig a big hole!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger MikeB said…

    I am sorry to see the end of Carpe Diem. I got to know every last inch of that boat when I sketched it back in 1998 (hard to believe it was that long ago). Hopefully you will keep the sketch to help you remember it. I'm surprised you didn't take a picture of the sunrise. When I went with Christy and Pete a few times to Jacksonville Beach, we stayed at a hotel on the beach and would leave the door open at night to hear the surf. Brings back good memories.

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger shoshanamom said…

    I have the picture you drew hanging on our staircase wall. We'll always keep that and display it. You did a great job on it.

    I would have taken a photo of the sunrise but I had left my camera in the car. Oh well!

    ok-- we are off for our next task: LEAVES. Yikes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am mom - hear me roar!